Thursday, May 22, 2008

Muddin' in Alaska

Last weekend we had a great time helping with the Knik clean up. Every year the off-road clubs from all over the state of AK get together to clean up one of the most frequently used wheelin' grounds in South Central AK. All sorts turn out for this big event, mostly 4-wheelers and dirt bikes, but a few creative and generous souls bring out their big guns to tow the heavy stuff... like burned out vehicles, refrigerators full of last year's catch and other crazy junk.
"70's ON STEROIDS"
Here is one of my favorites. This VW van would be perfect with giant lime green flowers on the tires and psychedelic flames down each side.

"MUDDIN' IN AK"
Here is our not so flashy rig tearing through the mud and the muck that is Knick Glacier sand and silt. Kaia LOVES the bumpy rides but isn't quite such a fan of the articulation. When she is looking out her window at either the sky or the ground, she starts to hang on to the edges of her car seat and make nervous noises. I don't know how much longer I can handle the bumpies though. I was a little uncomfortable with all the weight I have sitting in my lap, but overall, it was a great trip. We will see how this weekend goes with 2 big bouncy trips planned for Saturday and Sunday. The good news is that there is enough stop-and-shoot-the-bull time to recover. Grandma thinks it is the fool-proof way to go into early labor... I guess I will just listen to my body and not be afraid to speak up or turn back if I need to.


"PURPLE MOUNTAIN MAGESTY"
I love this picture of the river and the glacier. This is God's country and I can't believe how generous he was to us last weekend. We had perfect weather and amazing scenery to contend with as we did what we love in the great outdoors. This view is only 30 minutes from our house and we have actually been all the way out to the face of the glacier several times. On a good day, you can drive right up on the ice... It's a good 3 hour drive from where this picture was taken to the glacier face through 3 river crossings, a pretty serious maze of beaver ponds and a whole lot of bumpy rock climbing over the terminal moraines. SO VERRY WORTH IT THOUGH... if you have the right rig. :)

"WHATCHA GOT FOR LIFT UNDER HERE?"
Here is a classic example of what Alaska does to kids. This new shiny jeep showed up to help out with a vehicle drag out and Kaia climbed right underneath to check out the components. Most of these rigs are so highly modified they can't be driven on the road, but Kaia loves them all. I think it must be like a fantastic jungle gym for her to be around so many big toys... I know it is a wonderland for Daddy. The funny thing is that anyone new to AK off-roading will ask "Is that normal?" And to that, we respond "for her, YES!" What more can we say? She is her Daddy's little girl.

5 comments:

Karin said...

Looks like a great time! When are you due again? Make sure you can make it to a hospital!

NicciN said...

Love that photo of Kaia. It looks so fun -- Lucas would love it.

Chiara said...

See....you guys are way more hard core off roaders than we are. We need you guys to teach us a few tricks! ;)- I love the pic of Kaia under the jeep!! Just make sure your husband knows how to deliver a baby on his own....maybe put a suction thingy, something to cut and tie off the umbilical cord, and some extra towels in the car - you should be set!! ;)-

Tiffany W. said...

Looks like way too much fun! i am pretty sure it is not fair that you get to do that on a regular basis! But i gotta admit--you have more guts than i do. My husband goes over a speed bump too fast when i am pregant and I feel it! ;) I LOVED The 70's on steriods pic! What a fun car!!

Squish said...

I love the pic of Kaia!!! Maybe she's going to be an engineer. Here is the city I can't even imagine such wreckless abandon - how fun for you.