Saturday, September 6, 2008

Another Owie and Another Sleepless Night

So we had another trip to the Urgent Care center at about 5 o'clock last night. Kaia and I were outside working in the yard and she took off her shoes... a major no-no in our yard... and stepped on a rusty, inch-long, trim staple sticking out of a rotting piece of wood. It's amazing what kind of stuff got stirred up in our landscaping efforts.

Anyway, Kaia is on anti-biotics and we are doing an epson salt soak every few hours to try and draw out the infection... which is impossible to avoid with puncture wounds like these. So far, she is being a trooper and toughing it out. But it is so pathetic to see her scoot or hop around the house trying to avoid putting any pressure on her owie. It looks like she is going to pull through yet another dangerous adventure on mommy's watch.

Onto other news, I can't sleep anymore. I think it started with the frustrations of bedrest and pregnancy, then the newborn demands, but now, I don't know what it is. I know I am tired. I know I am in desperate need of the rest. My body lays down, but my mind just keeps on spinning. Sometimes to a beat and sometimes so rapid-fire that I can't even catch up. I've tried meditation... that is only more and more frustrating as my meditation becomes the base line of my never-ending concert of thoughts. At about 4am I gave up and got some house work done. Of course, by the time I was ready to crash, Kaia was up and demanding immediate attention for her owie.

Poor kids... I'm gonnna try not to be worthless today, but my attempt may be futile.

3 comments:

Squish said...

You poor thing! Two young ones is so hard and hospital visits, owies, nursing, and insomnia don't help. I wish I had some great advice, but honestly I don't. Please know that this too shall pass, that you do indeed have a tremendous amount of responsibility right now and it is normal to feel like you can't clock out or relax.

Can anyone give you an hour or so alone?

NicciN said...

So sorry things are difficult. Is there any way to get a break to have some time for yourself? Even a half hour away can make a big difference.

Chiara said...

Have you tried tylenol pm? Works like a charm and I am NOT one to take medications....but it's some good stuff! Just don't take it daily or you'll get addicted!! ;)-