Sunday, February 15, 2009

Splish Splash and a Dash

So, I got in the pool today and seriously timed myself to see what I could do. Then came home and signed up for swimming lessons. :) I swam laps for an hour and kept a pace of about 75yds / minute. Turns out that counts as 'slow' on MFD and I'm supposed to be training for a race! I was really working at it too. Ah well, gives me something specific to work for.

I think my real problem, aside from my size and the obvious drag, is that I don't like putting my face in the water; makes for bad form. Right now, it is more of a flop, cough and spit with a lot of splashing around. I caught the life-guard watching me with more concern than I like to see when I'm a good 2 feet taller than the water is deep.

Hopefully the lessons will help me, and I'll be more efficient. The good news is that I can do the distance of the swim in the triathlon in 4.5 min right now. Seems odd that it is a leg of the race and only takes me 5 minutes to do. But I checked and re-checked the distance and my time. The 3.1 mile run and 9 mile bike will be significantly longer.

When we got back from the pool, there were 2 moose bedded down in the yard! And I was all excited about enjoying the warmer weather (we hit 31 today!) and sledding in our driveway with the girls. Unfortunately the moose hung around till after dark. Here's a pic of the beady eyes bearing down to charge my dog. That was a bit scary. Dog= 5 feet from me, moose=10 feet from dog. I've been training, but I'm not fast enough to outrun an angry mama moose. Even with a woodpile and a dog between us, my mad dash for safety would have been worthless had she decided she didn't like my flash.

4 comments:

NicciN said...

How great to know that you could do the swim leg in 5 min now. I am sure the lessons will help a lot in terms of your form. Good for you for signing up. This post makes me miss swimming.

Wow, about the moose. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Squish said...

How fascinating and scary at the same time! Moose are such impressive creatures. Congrats on your swimming and your goals for your race - good for you!

My Rags to Riches said...

Swimming is tough, don't give up cuz if you can get good at it, it is one of the best workouts out there. I tried it and gave up way too quickly don't take after me!!!

Jennifer said...

Umm...you have a DOG. She was a puppy when we left!