Thursday, February 21, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Sierra

Do you ever come across a question that you think you know the answer to, and then it just creates more of the same kind of question? I've been reading A New Earth by Eckhert Tolle and one of the questions that came to my mind was this:

If everyone could see things for what they really are... just things... would things cease to exist all together? Could we as a species really evolve enough not to need things?

I think maybe that can only come after we die. Technically we are a thing and need things to survive. I don't think things aren't bad, they just become destracting or even dangerous when we use them to identify who we are. Things like food, housing, transportation are all necessary parts of survival in our modern world, but they are also status symbols or identifiers of personality or preference.

So, how do we NOT identify with things that we need to survive? Or deeper yet, is it wise NOT identify with the things that symbolize or embody what really matters ie. our children? Hummm.

3 comments:

NicciN said...

I have been wondering whether or not to read this book.

I think you said it here "they just become distracting or even dangerous when we use them to identify who we are" I think it is dangerous if you use your kids as part of your identity, but it is not bad to say that they really matter to you. I think the key is to have a you that is bigger than things and that doesn't need things, roles, etc... to have an identity. I am so struggling with this now -- trying to let go of my doer who is so identified with doing things, being busy, etc... I am trying to stop, slow down, just be, and then I wonder what is my identity then, but I think it is that intangible identity that I am trying to cultivate -- the true essence of me.

I hope this makes sense. :)

Anonymous said...

Like everything else I think there needs to be a balance. Needing things becomes a problem when a person gives material possessions to much importance in particular if they become more important than the people in their lives.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sierra! I saw your blog on Facebook. The last time we talked to you, you were moving to Alaska!! Now it looks like you've settled there & love it! Your little girl is beautiful! Just wanted to say hello!!