Thursday, February 14, 2008

A New (to us) JEEP!


OK, so we weren't really looking for another jeep, but we are a jeep family and there is just no getting around that. We have been looking for a subaru or a Rav4 for about 3 months now so that we could reduce the wear and tear on our big-expensive toy (in the back) and save on gas money, but everytime we found something that might work, it had sold faster than we could even go look at it. Besides, to get something reliable in our price range, we were going to have to take out a loan.

Finally, last night I get a call from hubby and he talked me into "settling" for a jeep that gets less miles to the gallon, but costs us less in insurance, maintenance and interest. He had found one that was just posted on craigslist for a price we could pay cash for and it had all the bells and whistles and it wasn't green (huge bonus for me). So I called the guy and he said he had 3 people going to look at it, so I jumped on the band wagon and was the first one out there to take it for a drive. It was fantastic! I offered him the full asking price which was about $1200 below low book value, and gave him a deposit. This morning we arranged to pay the rest and get it here to the house.

So, we are now the official owners of another jeep... Technically, I think I own it as Ben's name isn't on it anywhere and he hasn't even seen it yet. I think it will meet our needs and will work out great for us. I am especially excited about the auto start (unless you live in very cold climates, this makes no big difference. But let me tell you, it is really nice to push a button and have the car start up without having to go out into -20 weather with a 2-year old and a puppy just to come back in for 10 minutes while it warms up enough to go back out for real.)

Honestly, I think it is kind of fun that we are so Jeep identified. Now everyone in the family has a jeep (exept for the pets, but they prefer to ride along anyway.) I guess it isn't quite as environmentally friendly as a subaru, but I don't know that I can pull off the subaru attitude. A part of me can... but probably not with Ben in the car. I guess the rough and tumble jeep thing is more my kind of driving... even if I'm bumpin' along with heated leather seats. :) Really rough, I know. :)

2 comments:

Tricia A. said...

Congratulations on the new Jeep! It is very exciting to have another vehicle and I'm so glad you were blessed to find one so soon. I'm glad it has the auto start feature--how could you get along without that!

Kendra said...

Hey darling! I love the new jeep! I'm quite excited for you! Michigan was bad enough, I can't even imagine where you are-the starter must be awesome!! You are so good to always comment, I'm going to try to do better! It is so fun to hear from you! Also, I am requesting some more pics of your new house if you ever get a chance!