Friday, July 6, 2007

I'm Ascared, but Here I Go!

So this is it. The big adventure I have been training for is finally here, and I am no longer in "hard-core" training. I am allowing myself more carbohydrates to boost energy for the rigorous terrain and high-altitude living. The anticipation is just about too much for me... Either that, or I ate too much pasta at Olive Garden an my body is in shock.
I can't believe it is finally here. I wish I could say that I met all my goals, but what the hell. I can't win 'em all and I have ALWAYS had my head in the clouds when it comes to setting 'em in the first place. I guess it's better to shoot for the stars and hit the moon than never get off the ground. I am strong and happy and everything seems to be in working order. I have nothing to complain about, and I am not ashamed of what I have accomplished. I got the gear, I've trained hard and I am ready to tromp all over those mountains for the next 8 days. YAE for mountains! YAE for me!
I am really hoping it was enough, and that I am able to acclimatize well and quickly. Dad has been up at elevation for the last 7 days and should be pretty well ready for the big race. The next week with me should be a cake walk for him, but I have the distinct fear that it will hurt me a little bit. I have decided that fear is not a bad thing, so long as it adds to, not takes from the adventure.
John long, a famous climber, once stated "the caliber of the adventure is proportional to the level of doubt maintained." If I had nothing to doubt, no fear of possibly being a bit of a weenie, then it wouldn't be an adventure. Fear can be justified, and in the wilderness, it is ALWAYS better to be prepared for what might hurt you than to be lost out in the cold.
I have decided that it is far more important to understand my fear, than to overcome or suppress it. If I am not enough, the mountain will let me know, and it is an honest and worthy opponent. But oh the thrill of winning that battle and proving to myself that today, I am enough! Fear is nothing to be afraid of and I am woman enough to admit that I am a little scared. But I am scared in a motivated, excited sort of way and here I go. Wish me luck and pray that my dad is feeling good when I pick him up at mile 56.

2 comments:

NicciN said...

Woohoo!! How exciting! I hope you have a fantastic time and I wish both you and your Dad strength in body, mind, and spirit. I can't wait to hear about it when you get back.

I always think that the fear that comes with excitement is the best kind -- you are about to head out for a big adventure and it is often life changing in a very positive way. Like the fear is about getting out of your comfort zone and into a better you.

Slackermommy said...

Rock on girl! You are such an inspiration.