Sunday, June 3, 2007

Gratitude Sunday: A Sunny Day

Today was a day of sunshine after a long stretch of dreary fog. I am not writing metaphorically or poetically, but literally. I haven't seen a day this bright in about a month, and I am really enjoying it.

It was amazing to see how many people were out on foot, bike, trike four wheeler and yes still snowmachine (snow mobiles for you lower 48 readers). I can’t believe that it is June and we still have snow on the ground. What blows me away is that there is still ice pack on the ocean! I thought they said that summers were great up here… I’m still waiting for that to happen.

I took Kaia to the park and we had a great time on the swings and the slide. There were about 40 other park goers and it was fun to watch the kids get creative with the mud and the water still accumulated on the playground. We could only stay for about an hour though, because Kaia's little fingers were turning purple from holding on to all those cold metal bars and being exposed to that danged wind. At any rate, it was a good time and I am glad that we went.

When we got back to our apartment, there were about 10 kids in swimsuits running around trying to get a tan... which I thought was really funny because it only got up to 38 degrees today and the neighbor kids are Alaska Native, Polynesian and Black. If anyone needed a tan it would be us Tunuk’s! (Inupiat word for the color white that they endearingly call the minority white people... I am pretty sure that it is not intended as a racial slur.) I have been feeling a little pasty lately and have been thinking about venturing out in a tank top. Even while exercising, 38 is still pretty chilly!

Anyway, the sun is still shining and will keep shinning until the clouds move in or September rolls around… which ever comes first. I am just grateful for a day of relative warmth and brilliance. I think it does good things for the soul.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad you go to see the sun today, it does do wonders for the soul!

NicciN said...

Thanks for reminding me not to take my CA sunshine forgranted.

NicciN said...

Here's some gratitude for you -- I am grateful that I found your blog and that you are reading mine.

Thanks for all your comments. It is nice knowing someone out there is reading and to feel supported in the changes that I am trying to make.