Saturday, June 2, 2007

Top Ten: Personal Ironies

I haven't done a Top Ten list in a while and found this meme topic quite interesting. I would love to read a few of your personal ironies in the comments. So, here they are, my top ten personal ironies in chronological order.

  1. For the longest time I said I would only eat wild game. Then I despised killing animals and decided to stick to beef, pork and chicken. Then I discovered that beef, pork and chicken come from cows, pigs and chickens and I went vegetarian for about a year. Now I prefer wild game or organic meat (but I do enjoy a good greasy burger once in a blue moon).
  2. For the longest time, I said that I would never be a runner, I actually hated running. Then I joined sports and it became part of the price to play the game. Then I got in shape and it wasn’t so painful. Then I started running on Mountain trails, Desert trails, Arctic trails and began to enjoy it. Now I get excited anytime I think I might get to run a trail and am planning on pacing my dad on a portion of his 100 mile ultra-marathon.
  3. For the longest time, I said I would never go to a Mormon Church College. Then I went to BYU for a year and then swore I would never go back. I graduated from BYU with Recreation Management and Business Management Degrees.
  4. For the longest time, I said that I would never neglect my physical health. Then I let myself go and put on 130 lbs. I have since taken off 100 and am working really hard to get rid of that last stubborn 30.
  5. For the longest time, I said I would never go on a Mormon Church Mission. Then there was a period they wouldn’t have let me. I was the first of all my girlfriends to actually do it and served an amazing 17 months in Europe and Africa, learned 2 new languages and learned a LOT about myself, others and life in general.
  6. For the longest time, I said I would never get married or have children. Then I was voted most likely to get married right out of high school and start a family. I was the last of all my girlfriends to actually do it, but have a wonderful hubby of 5 years in August, a beautiful baby girl of 17 months and I wouldn’t trade ‘em for anything!
  7. For the longest time, I said I would have an adventurous career like an Astronaut who discovers intelligent life on other planets and travels to new galaxies or a Marine Biologist who discovers new life forms in the ocean deep. Then I discovered that I’m not all that good at math but have an affinity for the mountains… on earth. I am now a stay-at-home mom living on the Tundra… no mountains, but I have created new intelligent life in a place that is like another planet… that should count for something.
  8. For the longest time, I said I would accomplish big dreams of running my own business. Then I signed up for several of those pyramid businesses and NONE of them ever made me any money. I still have plans to run my own adventure lodge, and it is closer now than it has ever been. Now we just have to decide on a place to build it.
  9. For the longest time, I said I would move to Alaska and make that my home. Then I vacationed in Alaska, worked a summer in Alaska and honeymooned in Alaska. Right after college I moved to Alaska. Now I count the days till I can get the hell out of here and am debating on whether or not I really want to make it my home.
  10. For the longest time, I said that I would never even think about leaving the Mormon Church. Then I questioned the integrity of its members, left and said I would never come back. Then I realized the members aren’t a perfect example of the doctrine, came back and said I would never leave again. Then I questioned the doctrine and seriously considered leaving again. I finished my mission, got married in the Temple and continued a strong-active member for 5 more years. Then I questioned the effect of all the doctrine on my personal relationship with God and how the contradictions would ultimately affect my children. I have since left again, but have no intention of predicting the future. If God leads me back, that’s His business.

No comments: