Thursday, May 3, 2007

Wild Alaska

As if it wasn't expensive enough to get groceries and supplies up here in the Arctic, the expected rise in postage / shipping will raise our prices by 30%. That will bring our milk up to $10.39 a gallon! Hubby and I can go without, but Kaia will have a really hard time. She goes through 2 gallons a week; that is $80 / month. And the milk isn't the worst of it. Produce is a killer and we literally ate $1000 our first month. I am beginning to doubt that we will be able to save up for a house within the year.

So, I am looking for alternative options for survival up here. I think I will just move down to the lower 48 and live within driving distance to a Costco, or Safeway, or Fred Meyer, or Walmart, or any other grocery chain for that matter. We are so lookin' for the 2-week rotation!

On the bright side, I have gained a new appreciation for fresh produce and reasonable prices. I have also gained a new motivation to manage my munchies and found some creative ways of making leftovers stretch a lot further.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Poor thing! And I complained when we left Utah and milk was more than $2.00 a gallon. BTW, I haven't forgotten the tag, I'm just taking my time :)

Slackermommy said...

You've got to be kidding to me? That's ridiculous. I'll stop complaining about the fact that I spent $20 on gas yesterday and only got 6 gallons.