Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gratitude Sunday: What I Don’t Know

There was a time not too long ago when I was grateful for all the many things I thought I knew. They somehow made me feel more privileged. Now I am convinced that I am more privileged because I DON’T know what I thought I knew. With knowledge, there is responsibility to take action, and depending on what I “know”, it can make a real difference in every aspect of my life.


Mark Twain once stated "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."


I thought of how bizarre people behave because they “know” their superstitions are true. Worse yet, I thought of all the people strapping bombs to their chests because they “know” that their god requires it of them.

It really made me think about what kind of bizarre thing I might do because I "know" something that just ain't so. I had to reconsider what I really “know” and what am I willing to do for it? I have made it my personal mission to learn as much as I can about things that impact me and the mark I want to leave on this earth the most, admit when I don’t know, and postpone action until I do.

Remember my One Word? This is part of being intentional about what I do, what it means and how it impacts those around me. I’ve learned that sometimes the best response is just to wait until I can study things out, find peace in an answer and implement a response...

...I know, a new perspective for this spontaneous, fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants Mom. Look out world, Mama's got a new set of goggles!

No comments: