Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Little Things

This morning, like all my mornings in Barrow, began in the dark. I had just finished feeding Kaia her breakfast when the phone rang, and a friend invited us to go to the morning play group. On our way out, I could see the full moon hanging low on the horizon in a creamcicle orange over the purple sea of ice and snow.

It was spectacular, but not nearly as beautiful as the sunrise... I didn't actually see the sun, but the brighness of its promise reminded me how much I missed it. The southern sky was full of burgundies, pinks and oranges. The colors were so bright and vibrant, it was almost surreal. I had forgotten that nature could make such a brilliant artistic display. It reminded me of all the little things that I used to take for granted, and made me think of what I might be taking for granted now.

I think I am taking many things for granted here, and need to give my stint here some purpose. What purpose, I don't know. But I think there are many needs here that I can fill. Now the challenge is to discover which one is the right fit for me and our little family. Maybe you can help. My endeavor must allow me to either bring Kaia or pay for her to go elsewhere for a few hours each week. It must also be meaningful in that it serves some purpose in the community or somehow allows us to save or prepare for fulfilling our big dreams. If you have any ideas. Feel free to post them, or send me an e-mail. I look forward to any little thing you can suggest.

No comments: