Tuesday, February 27, 2007

There's a Nubbard in the Cupboard

So, in the world of mommydom, there are many of opportunities for Dr. Seus and silly games. Today was a perfect example of one of them. I was mindlessly clicking away on the internet and booking plans for our upcoming vacation and had been diverting Kaia away for the last 1/2 hour. It was obvious that she wanted to play, but I really needed to book tickets and reserve rentals and hotels and all that logistical stuff.

I put her in her room with a few toys and hoped that she would entertain herself for just a few more minutes so that I could complete my little project. It was about 10 minutes later when I began to hear this muted squawk. They weren’t “I’m scared or hurt” squawks, just “I am stuck somewhere I shouldn’t be” squawks.

I ran into her bedroom and the squawks got quieter. That is when the panic started to set in. I called for her. “Kaia?” she responded “Mama?” in the same tone right back. Just a bit louder to track her down by sound: “Kaia!” “Mama!” Her reply brought me to the kitchen where she had pulled apart the Bisquik and Rolled Oats for a little snack. There was definite evidence that she had been playing with the lazy suzan, but no sign of her cute little self anywhere.

Finally, I hear her last little squawk, and the cupboard rattled just enough to tip me off. There she was on the second shelf huddled up with the hot cocoa packets and covered in Bisquik. Wonderful! The lazy suzan is one of only 2 cupboards that we don’t have locks on, and she frequently pulls stuff out. But this was the first time that she had opened any containers or actually ventured inside the cupboard… I don’t think it will be her last.

She was safe, no damage done, but I had to laugh. I learned that if Kaia wants to play, she is going to play, and there is nothing I can do about that. I think she learned hide n seek from the neighbor kids but it will be a few years before she understands the concept of confirming a seeker before she goes and hides. I guess it is just one more thing for me to guard against on my little one’s big adventures of growin’ up.

No comments: