Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Gratitude Sunday: A Change of Seasons

Today I am grateful for a change of seasons. The sun is finally setting, and I can’t help but feel a little relief. It is almost like I have been awake all summer long and now suddenly feel like I can get back to a normal routine. Even though the sunset is between 1 and 3 am, it still offers a bit of a better nights rest.

Last night I laid in my living room and listened to the waves crash on the beach. This is the first time the town has been quiet enough and the waves loud enough to notice in the 9 months we've been here. Granted, the ocean was frozen the first 7 months. I have enjoyed the summer of the midnight sun, but now it is really beginning to feel like fall. I have my concerns about the inevitable winter, but I am really enjoying the change of seasons… as quick as that change has come.

This picture was taken by John Falk, a guy who has a website of interesting Barrow Photos. I don’t know him, but think that maybe I should… maybe I do and don’t realize it. Humm, I just realized that I really don’t get out all that much and don’t know many people here. Truth be known, we have actually had a lot more socialization the past week than I think we have had the whole time we’ve been up here.

Tuesday and Thursday were bonfire/ weenie roasts at the beach with different groups of people. Friday was a BBQ with a bunch of officers in town for annual training. Saturday was a potluck and scrabble night at a dispatcher’s house and tonight was another BBQ! It has been really fun getting to know more people and enjoying some adult conversation, beverages and entertainment. All of this play time has been great, but I can’t help but wonder how things are going to be when it slows down again.

I think it is unnatural for me to be here, and I really look forward to getting our own place somewhere with mountains and trees and where I know the sun will come up every day no matter what. But in the mean time, I will enjoy my Barrow experience and be grateful for the changes both in nature and myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time you post about actually living in Barrow it totally trips me out. It must feel like an alien planet at times! You will have a great collection of memories and some fantastic stories to tell when all is said and done. Everyone I have ever known that has ever lived in Alaska has a very sacred, special place for it in their heart.

Way to make the best of what you have! Such an admirable characteristic of yours. :)

NicciN said...

Wow, that is an amazing photo. I checked out the website. It feels like such a different life.

I am impressed by how you always try to make the most of whatever and wherever you are -- I guess since you are great at viewing everything as an adventure. Maybe I should try on that mind set. Hmmm... what adventure can I have today?