Friday, August 3, 2007

Never a Big Reader

It seems strange that I was never a big reader before in my life... Actually, I think that I had only read maybe 3 books for leisure since grade school, and I really choked down the required texts for high school and college. I guess I was always one for living my own adventures and telling my own stories. But since Kaia was born, I haven't been obligated to a boss and yet haven't felt free enough to travel the world or roam the mountains for days on end. So, I started reading lots more. Some books are more interesting than others and I find myself gravitating toward positive improvement and philosophy type books. I love books that make me think but even took time to read a suspense novel!

Sorry Potter fans, it wasn't your beloved Deathly Hollows or any other of the Potter series. I don't know if it is the subject material, that I haven't read any Potter books or watched any of the movies all the way through, or just the intimidation factor of the size of the book itself, but I never got into it. I know, I may as well just admit that I am a loner on that one. Who knows, maybe I will read it with Kaia when she gets older.

Anyway, I have added a few books to my favorites list, and they are all recent reads... well, most of them within the last 2 years. If I can't get out more, I will simply have to resort to escaping into a journey within myself. It is actually kind of fun to take a new kind of adventure and stretch myself to adapt to my new environment. Yae for books!

1 comment:

NicciN said...

Glad you are enjoying reading. I think books saved me through a very lonely part of my childhood. That and music kept me feeling connected in some level when I felt very disconnected in most things.

That is one thing I enjoy about having a little one. A lot of times I read while nursing him in bed at night. It is relaxing.