Friday, August 24, 2007

Not-so-Interesting Adventures

I have always prided myself on my adventurous life and story telling abilities, but lately, I am having the weirdest feeling that I am not as interesting as I thought I was. The feedback I am getting makes me think I may be quite self absorbed. My adventures really aren't all that meaningful or exciting to anyone but me, and I am starting to think that the emphasis I put on them makes other people feel like I think they are boring.

That couldn’t be farther from the truth! Any interaction with another person is the most interesting thing happening in my life, and all the other activities are my best attempt to keep from dieing of boredom or self-medicating with junk food. If I have bored you with my lengthy and not-so-interesting stories or implied that I think you are boring, I sincerely apologize. My intent is to inspire not discourage or make anyone feel inadequate.

I have decided that I am going to make an effort to reach out and help other people feel interesting and good about their adventures. I can do this in conversation by asking more open ended questions, soliciting more information with follow up questions when short or incomplete answers are given, and limiting my lengthy monologues to my blog entries.

Sorry yall, I gotta record how fantastic my adventures are for me and my posterity. If my stories aren’t interesting or inspiring to anyone else but me, everyone else can ignore them. But if my stories are discouraging or demeaning to anyone in any way, please let me know so that I can apologize and communicate my intent more clearly.

4 comments:

NicciN said...

I just want to say that I find you very interesting and inspiring.

I love hearing about life in Barrows Alaska and am impressed that a new mom would live there.

I love hearing about your ideas for the future including the adventure lodge, adventure coaching, etc...

Whatever happened, my gut feeling is that it wasn't about you personally and it was more about someone else's struggles. I find enthusiasm for life and adventures contagious, please don't make yourself small to try to appease someone else!

Unknown said...

I second that! I mean come on, self absorbed? You are writing a blog, for heaven's sake! Blogs are supposed to be about you!

Blogging should be for you before it is for anybody else. Once you don't feel that way anymore, I don't think it is possible to get anything positive out of blogging.

If through your personal style of blogging you positively affect other peoples' lives, then great! Added bonus! But I don't think that should be the GOAL of anyone's private(ish) personal blog.

I find you inspiring, and I don't think a change should be made that would affect the quality of your blog.

I <3 you!!

Sierra said...

Awe, thanks girls. I am glad to hear that my intentions aren't lost on you. I know I can't please everyone, but I sometimes wonder if I unintentionally make others feel small. I know any unintentional offense could be someone else's struggle, but I still don't want to add to their misery.

The truth is that I have been wanting to get controll of my diarrhea of the mouth in real life for me. It's a tough thing to stop once I get the slightes inkling that someone will listen but sometimes I even annoy myself! It's kinda funny, but it's true nonetheless.

I treasure your honest and positive comments and <3 you both!

1tiredmama said...

I don't always leave comments, but I love reading your blog and I never once have thought you were self absorbed. Like k.b said, it is YOUR blog! I think that you always have great opinions and insights into things. Don't change anyting! You wouldn't be you if you did and we love you just the way you are!!