Friday, August 3, 2007

Attracting Some Inspiration

Though I don't think it is the only law working in the universe, the law of attraction does some amazing things. I stumbled onto a very interesting blog while wishing for something to inspire me and thought I would share. Patricia had some neat insight into a lot of things I have been thinking about, one of which is developing a life coaching career. I really want to explore motivating and inspiring others on that kind of a level.

I guess what attracts me so much to the profession is that that it is a world of deep thinkers and they get to encourage others to question their limits and be their very best. I want to further develop my skills and contribute in that arena in my own way. I am not all that passionate about the impersonal executive-focused coaching and not entirely into the touchy feely eccentrics associated with individual-focused coaching. I could definitely find fulfillment and success in my own little niche somewhere between work and drama with my specialty -- PLAY. Maybe I will call myself an adventure coach...

I posted some raw ideas about it here, but have since sketched in a lot more shape and structure. I had all but forgotten about it since the big race, but it found me again. It is not a coincidence but a steady draw toward something big. I want to provide the ideal environment, the tools and support for others to become an effective creator in building their own sustainable and fulfilling, life-long adventure. I want to provide an experience that will help people see themselves differently, and then champion their training and preparations to live their prime adventure. I want to guide them into nature and let the wilderness inspire them to do their thing.

I feel most comfortable working with women and have a particular soft spot for mothers and women in other tricky transitions. This may be too narrow, but I think I am going to go with it for starters until I invest in the training to get a better clue as to how the business side of things goes. For now, I am just dabbling in the framework concept and how to integrate individual coaching, group workshops and my pet project, the adventure lodge. Eventually, I would like to get my masters in an accredited program for coaching and get some certifications in Wilderness First Responder, Mountaineering, Personal Training and Life Coaching. I think that by the time I am at full speed, I could have a really fun thing going.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Too narrow? Maybe in Alaska, but not in the bottom 48!!! You'll have more women coming to you than you know what to do with!!

And I LOVE the title Adventure Coach. I have a pretty good life and I am satisfied with most of it... Adventure? Is one of those things that is DEFINITELY lacking. I NEED it and MISS it and when we are going somewhere and we have to go through the country or woods to get there, I get this awful feeling of homesickness that I do nothing about.

So... you're gunna set up camp (no pun intended, ::groan::) In the Pacific Northwest, right?? RIGHT???

Squish said...

New moms are especially ripe for reinvention. I think you are on to something here!

Sierra said...

Thanks for the support.I was thinking somewhere near Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens or even further north near Olympic Ntl. Park would be prime camping grounds for the Portland, Vancouver and Seattle markets. HUGE draw, not to mention the millions of people in the suburbs.
I looked at the competition in that area and think I have a pretty good shot because my niche is so unique. But I am still torn because I LOVE Alaska and could attract people from all over the world if I had the right kind of services. I'm just not sure I want to narrow my market to the filthy rich just yet. The price tag on an Alaskan adventure could cost upwords of $3000 / person with airfare and accommodations for 5 days, while I could accomplish the very same thing in the lower 48 in 3 days at closer to $1000. In the lower 48, I could also offer more individual sessions at $75/hr where I wouldn't have the market in AK for that at all.
Hummm, you give me much to think about. Who knows how this crazy thing will go?

Unknown said...

HAHA I just realized I said "bottom 48." Seriously, who says that? Maybe it's ingrained in my psyche from saying "let me smell your bottom! Let me wipe your bottom! Let me wash your bottom!" ALLL day long. :p

NicciN said...

Count me in too!! I always feel like I crave fun and adventure, and could definitely use support in that.

I always wanted to go to Vancouver! :) Seattle and Portland are great too.

You could have a special event for blogging moms -- they could keep journals and such and spread the word for you about how amazing an experience it was.

As an idea, you could call into Cheryl Richardson on her Hay House Radio show Coach on Call. She gives lots of advice. The main thing I remember is that she says one of the best first steps is to get coached yourself around wanting to become a coach.

Sierra said...

Aawe, you galls make me feel like I can do anything. Thanks for your support and all the excitement about the idea. Thanks for your support and all the great advice.